Do You Know When to go Singular or Plural? (2 Viewing)

NewsBot

DN.ca
Topics
From
Toronto, ON
Country flag
image (1).png

Example Sales Data: A Comparative Look​

To ground our discussion in reality, let’s examine some real domain sales data comparing singular and plural forms:

1. Car.com vs. Cars.com: While specific sale prices may not always be public, the domain “Cars.com” was valued at $872 million during its acquisition by Gannett in 2014, as part of a larger transaction. This valuation underscores the immense potential value of plural domains in certain contexts, particularly in industries where variety and selection are key.
  2. Candy.com vs. Candies.com: “Candy.com” was sold for $3 million in 2009, a landmark deal that highlighted the value of singular domains in the context of brandability and marketability. The sale of “Candies.com,” while not as publicly documented, would likely fetch a lower price due to its less direct association with the singular, widely recognized term for the product.
  3. Toy.com vs. Toys.com: “Toys.com” sold for $5.1 million in 2009, demonstrating the high value placed on plural domains that represent entire categories of products or services. Such domains are particularly appealing to retailers and e-commerce platforms seeking to dominate a market segment.

Read more: Do You Know When to go Singular or Plural?

Some plurals are instantly better than singular and sometimes its the other way around.

When I purchased Holidays.ca I specifically wanted it and not Holiday.ca

That was technically unusual for me because I mostly prefer singular domains.

Sponsors who contribute to keep dn.ca free for everyone.

Sponsors who contribute to keep dn.ca free.

Back